Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Drumrolls!! Maitri is back! And this time, its gonna be bigger than ever. There's all sorts of stuff going on for Maitri- dances, songs, fashion shows, a skit, and sand animation. And yes of course, MAYHEM at this point.
Be there on April 3rd, 5:30 pm at the Cullen Performance Hall. You don't want to miss it. It is going to be an awesome show followed by some delicious food from Balaji Bhavan.
Tickets are $8. Visit uh.edu/giso to get your tickets.
See you in ten days!
Please find a song that I wrote and composed a few days back for an article entry in Dautya. In the song, the "you" is a fresh incoming Indian student and the "I" is GISO. I guess you can make out the meaning of the song from that ;)
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
1. What is to be an Indian (if asked to mention in 3 words)?
a. Diversity, Education and Peace
2. Traveling, crossing large water bodies or spanning the skies just for the heck of pleasure is imperative. There lies humility, respect and austerity.
3. God does not exist, belief does. Imposing a belief or an attempt to change one was and will be a violent conflict.
4. Law books of all nations taken together enlist or indicate half the number of directions in which civilized humans can think. Remaining half are left for the crooks.
5. In war let humans perish, but not their creations. For when, some see those, they would realize that indeed war is not a good solution after all.
6. History is created by the best or by the worst. Rest of them are just the text that fall under these rubrics.
7. In school I learned to believe, “I can achieve the impossible.” At work I did the impossible!
8. An education that required a student to show the will and give full dedication for a lifetime
now requires just the bill and 90 minutes of dedication!
9. White is a combination of different colors. Take one off and white exists to cease.
10. Let appreciation precede criticism. Creation is always dear to the creator.
11. To reverse a system of levers that operate in unison one has few options:
a. Be the largest lever in the system
b. Be outside the system and wielding the right tools
c. Breakdown in the process
12. “In this country let a man be judged by what he does and not by who his father was”, Col. Chamberlain.
13. “Love is not gazing at each other, but is looking in the same direction” Source Unknown
14. “An unjust law is not a law at all, and it is my right, infact duty to resist it. I have two options violence or civil disobedience. You should pray that I chose the latter.” ~ Dialogue from The Great Debaters
15. Its human to colonize, consume and leave to decay. It's just a matter of time and methods used.
16. We are more passionate about borders, than the person standing next to us. Only the brave (soldiers) can think of both passionately.
17. Credit history can be rebuilt, not credibility!
Monday, March 9, 2009
The winners- Team Ike
Our annual, very popular tape-ball cricket tournament- Anubhav Cup was a huge success this year. 14 teams registered, compared to 9 last year, and showed an abundance of enthusiasm than any other year GISO has seen. The teams made professional use of make shift cricket fields- the very useful parking lots - with no problems at all. After all, long hours of practice in the narrow gullies in
The matches were held in the parking lots opposite Cambridge Oaks. After the initial elimination of teams, it was time for the finals. 1913 United Won the toss and elected to bat, scoring 85 runs in 12 overs. Team IKE got the runs loosing 5 wickets in 11.3 overs to win the Anubhav Cup 2009
Congratulations to team IKE once again. Hopefully, they will retain their title next year.1913 United